26 February 2015

Winter Travel Tips from DrinkFoodTravel

This may not be the most thrilling post I have ever written (come to think of it, what is?  That review of Uncle? Ideas for cheese plates?), but many of us travelers all across the country are dealing with dangerous winter conditions right now. If you're on the road, whether you'r going far or not, consider keeping some extra junk in your trunk.



I really do keep all of the following in a big Tupperware container in the back of my car:
  • a shovel
  • windshield scraper and small broom
  • flashlight with extra batteries
  • water
  • snack food including energy bars
  • matches and small candles
  • extra hats, socks and mittens
  • extra pair of boots
  • snow shoes
  • First aid kit with pocket knife
  • sleeping bag & space blanket
  • tow chain or rope
  • cat litter for traction
  • booster cables
  • emergency flares and reflectors
  • Cell phone adapter to plug into lighter
My parents also got me this great personal locator beacon for times when there's no cell reception.  I hope never to use it, but I feel good knowing it's in the glove compartment!



And if there's any possibility that you just can't get to where you're going, keep some essential toiletries and an extra pair of sweats in the car, too.  I have made great use of the hotels.com app on my phone for booking last-minute hotel deals and getting credit towards a free room.  Sadly, I have also cashed in my free room, which I was hoping to save for something planned and slightly more luxurious than Cheyenne. Alas...
 


Be safe out there, everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment