22 August 2014

Weekend favorites: garden tips for late summer



Oh, argh.  The school buses are going up and down the streets again, which always gives me that old start-of-school squirm in the pit of my stomach.  But you know what?  I'm an adult.  I don't have to ride a noxious fume-monster to and from a boring prison that doles out useless homework to waste my time.  I can enjoy what's left of summer and pig out on fresh vegetables and fruit from my garden (and the farmer's market).
You can, too, no matter where you live.

Look up local farmer's markets, CSAs, and ranches, and more from all over the country at Local Harvest.


I love this seasonality chart from CUESA to help me shop with the season all year long. There are some nice, simple recipes here, as well.

I don't think anyone is better at using every last scrap of produce from the garden than You Grown Girl, right down to the clever (and delicious) pickled radish pods.

My five favorite (other people's) recipes utilizing the stuff that's ripe right now:







CORN The Lady Behind the Curtain's Chimichurri Quinoa and Corn Patties is so inventive, I might skip the corn salad this summer!






EGGPLANT  Reclaiming Yesterday's Lime and Sesame Grilled Eggplant is soooo good and easy.





PEACHES It's hard to imagine doing anything with peaches besides just eating them fresh in the morning as a reward for getting up in the morning. But Love and Lemons comes up with a very compelling Ginger Peach Sangria. It's so good I sacrificed my breakfast peaches for it!




TOMATOES  This Laotian Bean and Tomato Salad from Food & Wine has a mind-blowing dressing that doesn't sound like it should work.  So, of course I had to try it.  It does.





WATERMELON These mini watermelon cakes are just ridiculous.  I am totally making these.






This is not the watermelon recipe I crave, but I couldn't help sharing this hilarious concoction with you all...



Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment