07 July 2014

A Month of Smoothies: Week 1



I just turned 40 last week, and I don't feel so good.  I think it's probably just all the beer and cocktails I've been drinking for the past two weeks; nevertheless, now seems like a good time to try to pack more fruits and veggies into the old, crumbling shell that carries my organs.  So, I know all those smoothie pinners on Pinterest get really annoying with their otherworldly fitness glow, but I promise that when I take you on this month long journey to find palatable smoothies with me, I will not be a douchebag about it.  I'll post four recipes that seem non-disgusting every Monday morning this month. And I'm pretty sure you can put booze in these, if you need to.

Green Tea, Blueberry, and Banana

3 Tbsp water
1 green tea bag
2 tsp honey
1½ c frozen blueberries
½ med banana
¾ c calcium fortified light vanilla soy milk


1. Microwave water on high until steaming hot in a small bowl. Add tea bag and allow to brew 3 minutes. Remove tea bag. Stir honey into tea until it dissolves.

2. Combine berries, banana, and milk in a blender with ice crushing ability.

3. Add tea to blender. Blend ingredients on ice crush or highest setting until smooth.

For remaining smoothie recipes, simply combine ingredients in the order listed in a high-speed blender. I'm using a Vitamix.

Fruit and Oat Smoothie 

1 cup quartered strawberries
1 sliced banana
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon maple syrup


Ginger Peach Smoothie


2 handfuls baby spinach
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 cups frozen sliced peaches
2 teaspoons honey
1 1/4 cups water




Avocado Pear Smoothie

1 ripe Hass avocado
1/2 cup silken tofu drained
1 cup pear or apple juice
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups ice



This is not me. She seems like a douchebag. 


No comments:

Post a Comment